Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Beginning of the Season Power Rankings


So I decided that at least twice a month I want to look at team Power Rankings on my personal scale.  I look at more than just a record to determine my rankings since there are more variables to look at.  What I’m going to do is look at stats like team OBP, SLG, OPS, ERA and more to try and back up my claims.  Along with my personal feelings that I feel about a team and if they’d beat a team head to head.  That’s where the stats really come into play in my decision-making.  So without further delay here is my top 10 Power Rankings.

1)   Boston Red Sox: Hard to argue with the best record in baseball but it goes beyond that.  They’re a team that is scoring runs (3rd in the Majors) without hitting many HR’s.  Having the Leagues 3rd highest Avg. doesn’t hurt they’re argument for being the top team.  The pitching is getting the job done as well with solid starts, 14 quality starts, and having the leagues lowest batting average against (BAA) with a .224, a full 10 points below the 2nd best team.
2)   Atlanta Braves: They just play solid ball and have great pitching.  One thing that worries me is the offense is being driven by Justin Upton and, before his injury, Freddie Freeman.  If the team wants to keep up the pass they need to get some more bats going.  I do think they will and when they do look out!
3)   Texas Rangers: When push comes to shove I never have trusted their bullpen or their starting pitching much.  The offense is dynamic and strong but if the pitching falls so do they.  This is the argument I had with myself putting them behind the Braves.  Darvish is pitching like an ace and if he can continue the pitching this could be quite a showdown.
4)   Baltimore Orioles: Yes you heard me right; I’m putting them ahead of the Yankees.  But don’t start screaming at me just yet since this was close.  Looking at the stats I mentioned Baltimore was beating or just behind the Yanks by a good margin.  Everyone passed on the Orioles as a fluke last year and guess what they’re still doing the same things they did last year, I’m sold on them this year and they may very well get better by seasons end.
5)   Oakland Athletics: I love good pitching and guess what they have good pitching.  Along with a lineup that is under appreciated they’re a team that is going to be dangerous to meet up with in the playoffs.
6)   St. Louis Cardinals: easily the best team in the NL Central at the moment.  A good lineup and an above average starting staff are going to carry them far this year.  What will end up killing them though is a weakish bullpen without Jason Motte, I worry that this will be the downfall of the Cards and the Reds may capitalize on.
7)   New York Yankees: They’re surviving, that’s all I can say.  They’ll be much stronger when they get Granderson back but don’t expect Teixeira to do much when he gets back.  Could use more starters but good overall a strong survivor.
8)   San Francisco Giants: I have a feeling that the teams pitching problems will work themselves out.  I worry a little about Cain but not that much.
9)   Washington Nationals: I picked them for the World Series and I stand by that.
10)                  Pittsburgh Pirates: Playing well and they could be a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment