Friday, November 1, 2013

The Irrelevance of Closers and Saves

The Irrelevance of Closers and Saves
            The saves stat was made an official stat back in 1969 and developed by many baseball Executives to give a stat to a pitcher that was able to close out closer games.  The number was set to 3 runs or less for the traditional save, there are more ways to get saves but they don’t show up as often as the basic 3 runs or less option; the closer can also be called on to pitch more than one inning if the need fits, the closer tends to be the “best” pitcher in the bullpen and is the most trusted pitcher the manager has.  The top closer in the games history is, arguably, Mariano Rivera with an astounding 652 saves.  Every thing I just said is fact, with that said I hate the closer role and the S (saves) stat in general.
            If you’ve been reading my blog from the start or heard one of my earlier rants on Turducken is Tasty on the subject you’ve heard me say before I hate the closer role and today I plan on going into I bit more detail.  Now this is all my opinion from this part forward mixed in with stats if I feel they are needed, and with me saying that you don’t have to agree with my views just hear me out.
            The closer is considered by many to be the best pitcher in the bullpen and given his job he needs to be.  Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman and Dennis Eckersly are all guys that are synonymies with the closer role.  So I’ll pose the main question to all the people who defend the stat that: Why do you wait to use your best pitcher?  Now this isn’t 100% true all the time granted but how many games could have been won that were lost in critical situations?  Many times just this last season I shock my head at managers that want to hold their closers till the ninth when their fighting to keep the lead in the 7th.  Lets look at an example of this biting the team in the butt; this post season we saw the Dodgers beat the Braves to move on to the NLCS.  One of the most critical moments came in game 3 when the Braves were up and the Dodgers were pressing hard on the relief.  It was the bottom of the 8th with 1 out and 2 on; David Carpenter was pitching and struggling.  Why wasn’t Kimbrel in?  I said this just before Carpenter gave up a HR that took the lead away from the Braves and Kimbrel sat down from warming up.  In that situation you wanted your best and he’s the best; why wasn’t he in?  Two reasons 1) Walt Wiess wanted him for the 9th and 2) Kimbrel had never pitched more than 4 batters all season.  To both of those I call bullshit; you needed the outs then and now so Kimbrel should have been in the game and for the 2nd I don’t care he’s in the majors I think he can handle facing 5 batters with a rest in between.  Now there is no guarantee that this would have solved the problem neither but odds get better.  During game 3 of the World Series the Red Sox brought in their closer in a non-save situation and still lost, though on a bad throw not the pitchers doing.
            Other things to ask is why is the closer so much more valued rather than a pitcher that gets a lot of holds?  This years Holds leader was Joel Peralta with a 2-year 6 million deal (with a 3rd year option).  The saves leader, by comparison, was a tie between Josh Johnson and Craig Kimbrel at 50 each.  Johnson is making roughly 13.75 million this year and last year while Kimbrel is up for a major payday.  The definition of a Hold is preserving the lead in any inning but the last, which we call a save.  Holds are starting to get more respect but as of now they seem to be overlooked since we value the Save way more and makes the closers more “valued” than regular relief pitchers.

            In the end it’s your opinion and I’ve just given a few reasons why I feel the closer is overrated and by proxy the save as well.  It’s like looking at a pitcher and saying “Oh he had 19 W’s this year he’s a great pitcher!” without noting that the pitcher had and ERA of 4.00 and a WHIP of 1.30.  We value these guys above others because they can pitch in the last inning which we feel is different than any other inning, and speaking from personal experience its no different than the 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment