Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Power Rankings May 30th-June 12th

My favorite time of the week, time to sit down and look at my stats to see if and where teams place in my power rankings.  As always I would like to remind everyone that my rankings are based on stats that I have gathered, standings and personal beliefs or opinions.  So without further delay lets see if things have changed in this weeks Power Rankings.

1)   Texas Rangers- Even though they are having a bit of an off last weeks that doesn’t change my opinion of them.  Pitching is still going strong and I can assume it’ll only get better when the Texas sun starts warming things up.  The bats were quite these last few weeks but when they were hitting they hit hard.  Adrian Beltre has finally woken up and has quietly brought his AVG back to .304 with 14 HRs.
2)   St. Louis Cardinals- Its getting to the point where I truly see the Rangers and Cardinals as equals.  Both have strong pitching and dangerous lineups, if you were to make the case that the Cards are the top team I wouldn’t argue at all.
3)   Atlanta Braves- The pitching on this team has been beyond amazing.  In the past 2 weeks the team has a 2.08 ERA and a .87 WHIP.  That is just deadly to any team going against them, the scary part is the bullpen is banged up and they can still pitch better than any healthy pen.  While there are signs that this may be some luck the FIP is not to much different or worse than the ERA.
4)   Boston Red Sox- Strong hitting has put them slightly ahead of Baltimore for now.  The bats have been very hot and baring injury could just run with what they’ve been doing.  Pitching had a good few weeks but they did regress somewhat.
5)   Baltimore Orioles- The hitting and pitching has cooled off over the last few weeks.  I gave Boston the bump only because how good they were in comparison to Baltimore.
6)   Cincinnati Reds- The hitting is starting to get hot and the pitching is staying consistent.  Time will tell if the loss of Johnny Cueto will hurt the team in the end but for now they look rock solid.
7)   Detroit Tigers- Much like the Reds they’re staying consistent enough.  I say enough since the team is a feast of famine team.  They could win by 10 for 3 days and lose without scoring a run or 2; if they could be more consistent in their hitting they could be very dangerous in the playoffs.
8)   Arizona Diamondbacks- I’m still going to say this team is going to win the NL West.  The offense is better than people give them credit and in the last few weeks have had a very solid .277/.333/.347 line.  If they continue to do this I can see them staying off Colorado and San Francisco.
9)   New York Yankees- While the pitching is still doing well the hitting is just laying eggs all over the place.  They still have a chance to get back into it and have plenty of time but they need to hit for more power or this could get ugly fast.
10)         Colorado Rockies- I finally give and put them ahead of the Giants.  Well not really, I actually see the two teams as a tie but with a very good offensive week I gave them an edge.  On the flip side the Giants had a better pitching week so it’s going to go down the stretch with this division.
Now everyone’s favorite part and seeing who’s the worst of the worst.  Before I we start I wanted to say something, when the season began it was a 2 horse race for worst team in baseball.  As of now there are 8 teams within 5 games of the Astros record and even they have more wins then the Marlins so this is getting…close.
            26) Minnesota Twins- Still playing terrible but are hitting better and pitching better in the last few weeks so they get a small bump.  They’re still not as good as ESPN rates them that’s all I’m saying.
            27) Milwaukee Brewers- They the Twins of the NL, not a good team but doing better.
            28) Houston Astros- They seem to be getting this “oh it’s the Astros who cares” reputation and while I see and agree with what they say that doesn’t mean they can just ignore them.  The Twins, Brewers and Astros can do the same thing; take them lightly and they can hurt you bad.
            29) New York Mets- I feel bad for guys like Matt Harvey and David Wright since those are the only real players on this team.  They have so far to go to become relevant again and at this point a trade of David Wright starts looking valid.  Sad times for Mets fans.

            30) Miami Marlins- They got Stanton back…that’s all I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment