Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Steroid Probe and My Views


            So far I’ve been writing based on hard evidence, granted it’s my evidence to support my claims but it is statistical data nonetheless.  Today is a bit different since there are facts but nothing that can be quantified by 1’s and 2’s and gives fans no solace if they had a good reason to or not.  The Steroid Era has been a stain on the sport that can never be washed off; but what’s worse than the taint of the PED is the person in charge of it all.
            I hate Bud Selig; yes this is an abrupt thing to say but it’s true I really do not like the man.  This isn’t to say he hasn’t done good things for the sport, if it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have the Wild Card spot and more recently the extra Wild Card that gets 1 more team into the playoffs per league.  I love the Wild Card and it was a brilliant and profitable addition to the game.  When baseball was taken out of the Olympics (more or less do to MLB and their unwillingness to let the younger players go and play for their countries) he created the WBC or World Baseball Classic and again that was a good and profitable idea.  But to me his complete and utter mishandling of the steroid situation erases all that he’s done for the sport.
            Yesterday the news broke that the Biogenetics scandal that the owner/founder of the company was going to speak up and name names.  Selig has taken it upon himself to no seek 100 game suspensions to every player that has been mentioned in leaked documents.  Some players mentioned are Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera, Evereth Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, Jhonny Peralta, Nelson Cruz and Robinson Cano.  Yes these are some pretty big names to be on this list and if they test positive for steroid use they all deserve to be punished by the rules set by the MLBPA (Major League Baseball Player Association) and the owners.
            I’ve done some research and looked for the specifics of the steroid policy and the one thing that stands out is the punishments for use of steroids and conviction of use.  On the first offense the player is suspended 50 games, a second offense is 100 game suspension and a third offense is a lifetime ban.  So here’s my first question about the potential 100 game ban that is going to be levied onto these players, who actually has failed a drug test recently?  Melky Cabrera has failed a drug test but has already done his punishment; he hasn’t failed a second time so why does he get punished again?  The other players haven’t even had their first offense so who exactly does this constitute as a second offense as the Commissioner is trying to claim it as.  Again the rules are very clear in this matter and Selig is abusing his position as Commissioner to punish players that he feels “beat his system” and, to me at, least is very clear.
            In the end I don’t feel that, if this punishment actually does happen and as its been reported, doesn’t fit the crime at all.  If they had failed a test and had been beyond a doubt convicted of taking steroids then a punishment is acceptable to me but right now I just don’t see the evidence that they TOOK the drugs to warrant suspension.  Many may say that yes they do need to be punished because of the evidence they may have taken steroids or at least paid for steroids.  The question gets very muddled in personal opinion and peoples beliefs.  In the end to me I want proof that they are currently taking steroids before I want to see punishments and I certainly want to punishments to fit the crime and not because of some persons personal vendetta.

Edit: Shortly after writing this I found an article that said that a player that is found associated with steroids can be suspended for steroid use.  So what does this change?  Absolutely nothing and in my mind but in fact makes me question the Commissioner more.  Why do these players get a 100 game suspension while others don't?  Also if we can go back and punish players for bad decisions in the past doesn't that mean we need to go back and punish players we know cheated in the past?  Take Mark McGwire's name out of the history books?  Babe Ruth taken out of the Hall with Ty Cobb? Ya to me this just opens a giant can of worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment